Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Glossy

I decided a while back to sign up for a subscription box service for myself.  We already have the Citrus Lane subscription (which we love) for Nora.  But in taking better care of myself I thought perhaps it was time to indulge myself a bit.  I looked into BirchBox, but since the sample sizes seemed so small, I didn't think it was worth it.  In the end I signed up for GlossyBox.  Higher end, larger sizes (including 1-2 full size products usually)....and a bigger pain in the rear, but more on that later.

January's box was curated by The Man Repeller.  If you don't read her (and I honestly had never heard of her, but love what I know now), she blogs about how fashionable things tend to be things women like, not things that attract men.  Of course she's totally right.  I like runway chic clothing...my husband would prefer me in jeans and a sweater.
There was a cute little note on the inside that says,
"Hey friend! Please enjoy the glossy box even though you are so damn pretty you don't need the aid of my fav. products."
The inside of the note has a list of what came in your particular box.  I ordered 2 boxes (got the second one for $15), but since both boxes contained the exact same thing, down to the lip color, it's making this review easier.  I will review the products as I try them!
In my box:
• Estee Lauder Sumptuous Extreme Lash Multiplying Volume Mascara.  Full size is .27 oz.  I got 2 each 0.1 oz, so between the 2 I almost have a full size.
• Fresh Umbrian Clay Mattifying Serum.  Full size is 1 oz. Each one I got is 0.17 oz.  I'm excited to try this because I actually own an Umbrian Clay Bar and LOVE it!
• Living Proof Prime Style Extender.  Full size is 5 oz.  Each of mine are 1 oz.  Not a bad size at all!  (Glossybox has more travel sizes, rather than sample sizes.)  It's supposed to help go longer between shampoos and styling.
• Narciso Rodriguez for her Eau de Toilette Spray.  Full size is 1.6 oz for the small.  Mine is in my bag, but it's the normal sample size spritzer everyone has gotten before.
• OPI "Can't Let Go" Liquid Sand Nail Lacquer.  This was a full size product.
• Vincent Longo Lipstain Lipstick in Americana.  This was a full size product.
• Le Metier de Beaute Replenishing Daily Solution.  Full size is 1.17 oz (and $225).  Size included was a sample 0.1 oz.

So, I ordered this because it looked amazing (there was a full sneak peak on The Man Repeller).  I love a good red lipstick, so I was thrilled to get that.  And while the price of the full size of the Le Metier is steep, it's no secret I'll pay a ton for a good skin care product, so I was curious to try it.  Basically I thought the whole box looked good.

I've tried the lipstain lipstick and actually like it.  I was worried because it leans slightly towards the warm/orange side and I tend to stick with blues, but it actually looked good.  I'd love to try a different color, but if I don't end up trading one, I won't be heartbroken.  (Photo taken on a 2.5 mile walk to my mom group in a horrible 71 and humid weather.  I walked in looking like a hot mess. Ha!)
I spritzed the perfume tonight behind my ears (I prefer to spritz on my top, but because of nursing I've learned that isn't always the wisest).  It's a nice scent, but not me.  G said he didn't hate it but it didn't smell like me, and he's right.  Sephora describes it as warm, sensual and feminine (with musks, honey flower, orange blossom and vanilla).  I found it a little strong.

I tried the Estee Lauder mascara today and actually liked it.  Didn't seem to clump, which is important for me, and dried quickly enough that my long lashes didn't leave marks above my eyes.

I already passed on to a friend tonight the second OPI nail polish because while I love purple, it's brighter, it's textured, and there is no way I will go through 2 bottles.  I will do a post soon on the color because I'll be wearing it for the Ravens in the Superbowl this weekend!

Overall I like the box.  However, their customer service is a hot mess, they pissed a lot of people off by essentially overselling their ability to fulfill in a timely manner, they substituted a blush in for quite a few instead of a lip color (and apparently Leandra, The Man Repeller wasn't aware they were doing that), and they didn't respond well to customers other than to consistently say they would be shipping soon.  Some still haven't gotten their boxes.

I'm signed up for a 3 month subscription so I'll share how this all works out.  The boxes are nice, though mine didn't include a free lipstick I used a code for when I signed up.  I've been told not having a code be honored in the mailing process isn't unusual, but I'm still planning to e-mail them.  We'll see how this plays out over the next 2 months.  I'm hoping this was a fluke because of the collaboration and that I'll have nothing bad to say after the next two.

6 comments:

  1. I've actually been thinking of doing the same thing with a French version of this. I like how you can just order a 3 or 6 month subscription if you want to make sure you like it before going for a whole year. I have a few friends who've done it, and for the most part, they are quite happy with the boxes!

    Lovely shade of lipstick on you, btw :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is a subscription box service? I havn't heard of one before. And why did you order two? Dd you expect them to be different, or did you order different types and they just turned out the same?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard of Birch Box before but not Glossy Box. I've never looked into them so I'll be interested in finding out if, at the end of your 3-month subscription, you think it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Man Repeller is the last of my 3-month subscription. I like this box - a lot! However, the first two were crap, and I won't renew. My box contained the Vincent Longo stain in Cherry. Like you, I thought it was too orange--red, but it looks good on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crystal, thank you! I really think it's worth it for the product. But we'll see if customer service gets better.

    Anon, a subscription box service is where you sign up to receive goodies in the mail monthly. They have them for everything from fishing items to gourmet food, pet items to baby things. I ordered 2 boxes hoping I might get two different colors of lipstick, but in the end I'm actually happy I ended up with 2 tubes of one that looks good.

    Jacqui, I'll continue to update each month!

    Phyllis, I'd love to hear what you didn't like about the first two boxes. I've read reviews of them, but mainly just of what they consisted of. I did think the jewelry last month looked pretty crap.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's nice to learn about new products and I have never tried these boxes I'm happy to learn what the customer service is like. I think I would love the lipstick though!

    Such a sweet blog you have! Its been nice to find you : )

    -Nico

    www.SatinAndSalt.com

    ReplyDelete