Thursday, January 23, 2014
Tasty, Healthy Mexican Flavor
Black Bean and Quinoa Casserole
Makes 6-8 servings. Originally recipe found here on Sparkpeople.
• 1 c. cooked quinoa
• 3 c. cooked black beans (or two 15 oz cans, drained)
• 2 large sweet potatoes, shredded
• 1/2 a large onion, diced
• 1 1/2 c. frozen corn
• 1 c. shredded cheddar cheese
• 1 1/2 Tbsp. ground cumin
• 1 tsp chili powder
• 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
• 1/4 tsp ground jalapeno pepper (optional)
• liberal pinches of salt and pepper
• 2 eggs
• 1 1/2 c. salsa (we used the roasted tomato salsa from Trader Joe...so good!)
• sour cream for garnish
• 2-3 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
• olive oil
Pre-heat oven to 350F. Oil a 9x9 baking dish.
In a medium pan, heat a little bit of olive oil. Once hot, saute the diced onions on medium until softened. Then mix in the chili powder, cayenne pepper and ground jalapeno pepper. Mix well. Then add the frozen corn and cook until soft. Take off heat and set aside.
Serving size is 1 cup. Top with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkling of cilantro. Serve with a salad or veggies.
This is a super high protein meal, suitable for vegetarian friends. Oh, and delicious beyond belief. We all gobbled it down and looked forward to leftovers today. Heats beautifully the next day!
I'll be doing a price breakdown of these meals later, but seriously, even doubled this wasn't more than $12 for 12-16 servings.
at 4:16 PM